Peer Reviewed Articles
8. "Predicting State Presidential Election Results with National Tracking Polls and MRP," with Gary Langer and Sofi Sinozich. Forthcoming. Public Opinion Quarterly. [Paper]
7. "Remittances and Vote Buying," with Ezequiel Gonzalez Ocantos and Covadonga Meseguer. Forthcoming. Latin American Research Review. [Paper]
5. "Legitimacy Buying: The Dynamics of Clientelism in the Face of Legitimacy Challenges" with Ezequiel Gonzalez Ocantos and David Nickerson. 2015. Comparative Political Studies 48(9): 1127-1158. [Paper] [Replication]
3. “Artificial Inflation or Deflation? Assessing the Item Count Technique” with David W. Nickerson. 2014. Political Behavior 36(3): 659-682. [Paper]
2. “The Conditionality of Vote Buying Norms: Evidence from Latin America,” with Ezequiel Gonzalez Ocantos and David Nickerson. 2014. American Journal of Political Science 58(1): 197-211. [Paper] [Replication]
1. “Vote Buying and Social Desirability Bias: Experimental Evidence from Nicaragua,” with Ezequiel Gonzalez Ocantos, Carlos Meléndez, Javier Osorio, and David Nickerson. 2012. American Journal of Political Science 56(1): 202-217. [Paper] [Replication]
Political Learning and Democratic Commitment in New Democracies - Manuscript
1. “Aproximacion a las percepciones de la ciudadania sobre la compra de votos y la intimidacion de votantes en el regimen politico electoral guatemalteco.” 2012. Prepared in collaboration with the New Democratic Institute, Acción Ciudadana, David Nickerson, Ezequiel Gonzalez Ocantos, Carlos Meléndez, and Javier Osorio. [Report]
1. Review of Bruhn, Kathleen. 2010. Urban Protest in Mexico and Brazil (Cambridge University Press, 2008). In Latin American Politics and Society 52(3): 172-175.
Manuscripts in Progress
“Political Context and Individual Attitudes: Political Learning and Democratic Commitment in New Democracies” [Manuscript]
- An earlier version of this paper was selected as the winner of the American Political Science Association's 2014 Franklin L. Burdette/ Pi Sigma Alpha Award, which recognizes the best paper presented at the 2013 APSA Annual Meeting.
"Beliefs About Ballot Monitoring in Latin America" [Manuscript]
“Vote Buying in the Americas,” with Ezequiel Gonzalez Ocantos, Carlos Meléndez, Javier Osorio, and David Nickerson.
“Political Learning and Democratic Commitment in New Democracies: The Case of Spain” [Manuscript]
“Carrots and Sticks. Experimental Evidence of Vote Buying and Voter Intimidation in Guatemala, with Ezequiel Gonzalez Ocantos, Carlos Meléndez, Javier Osorio, and David Nickerson.
“Economic Inequality, Political Polarization, and Protest” with John Griffin.
“Los determinantes del multilateralismo de masas en América Latina” with Ezequiel Gonzalez Ocantos.